I hadn’t planned on writing this post today but after a memorable long run (for the wrong reasons) I wanted to write about it so I can look back and laugh in future months.
So what are the marathon training lessons I’ve learnt on my run today?
- Three mugs of coffee before you head out on a 2.5 hour run are not the best preparation.
- You should still take water with you.
- Due to number 1 you’ll need to find suitable outdoor facilities. Sadly every bush will have a dog walker, cyclist or Duke of Edinburgh group hiding behind it.
- If your partner tells you the track won’t be muddy ignore him. He’s forgotten how heavy it rained during the week.
- If a group of mud spattered mountain bikers tell you the track isn’t muddy ignore them too. They’ve just churned it up.
- It is easy to get lost within a 6 mile radius of home.
- When you have to retrace your steps because you’re lost it will invariably be uphill.
- Wear proper running socks. You’ll appreciate them when your socks are soaked after running the wrong way through a field of long wet grass. Alternatively expect blisters.
- If you forget to charge up your technology before you leave you’ll have no idea how far or fast you’ve run (or where you are).
- The countryside is beautiful whatever the weather!
Have you any long run tips to add to these?!